You may need a total knee replacement if conservative options, such as injections and physical therapy, have not worked for your knee arthritis, pain, or alignment. You can go to the ORTHOKnox orthopaedic clinics in Knoxville, Tennessee, or Athens, Tennessee to discuss your options for a total knee replacement. At ORTHOKnox, your doctor may recommend MAKOplasty®, where your surgeon will use a robotic arm to precisely perform knee replacement surgery.
Not only can the Knoxville and Athens orthopedic clinics perform your total knee replacement using the less invasive and highly precise MAKOplasty® procedure, but ORTHOKnox has a skilled team of on-site physical therapists at our Knoxville location to support you before and after your surgery.
Your physical therapist will work with you after your total knee replacement surgery. Your recovery after surgery will last about 12 weeks, with a gradual return to recreational activities after that time. We have listed a typical rehabilitation timeline below.
TIMELINE FOR TOTAL KNEE REPLACEMENT RECOVERY
|Time||Physical Therapy and Recovery|
|Before surgery||– You will receive information at your total joint class that will explain the use of walker and walk with assistance and home adaptations|
|Days 1–2 after surgery||– RICE (rest, ice, compress, and elevate) your knee
– Walk with assistance, if needed with walker
– Work on sitting and standing up from a chair or bed
|0–3 weeks after surgery||– Begin rehabilitation by focusing on:
– range of motion: exercises and movements to improve bending and straightening the knee
– strengthening exercises: concentrate on thigh and lower leg muscles
|4–12 weeks after surgery||– return to daily activities
– balance: help muscles learn to respond to uneven ground and change direction
– function: after you can walk without pain, achieve personal goals (climbing ladders, playing a sport, walking in crowds) with specific activities
– continue exercises to increase strength and endurance
– continue rehabilitation to restore full range of motion
|12+ weeks after surgery||– gradual return to recreational activities such as golf, tennis, hiking, as advised by your physician|
Some exercises your physical therapist will show you before surgery may include:
- Quadricep Sets
- Straight Leg Raise
- Knee Straightening Exercise
- Ankle Pumps
- Knee Bends
These exercises will help you to walk, climb stairs, and return to your daily activities after your total knee replacement.
GETTING TREATMENT FOR A TOTAL KNEE REPLACEMENT
With its on-site physical therapists, board-certified surgeon, and Urgent Orthopaedic Care that is available without an appointment, ORTHOKnox has got you covered. For more information about how ORTHOKnox can treat your total knee replacement, call (865) 251-3030, or fill out our easy-to-use online appointment request form. We look forward to hearing from you!