Have you scheduled an appointment with your orthopedic surgeon to discuss treatment for your injury but aren’t sure what you need to do before you go? Your doctor and the clinic’s staff are professionals who will help guide you through your appointment, but you can make the most of your time with your orthopedic surgeon and reduce any stress by being as prepared as possible! ORTHOKnox has a dedicated staff, on-site physical therapists, a board-certified surgeon, and physician assistants that will work together to help you during your appointment. We want you to feel as welcome and comfortable in our clinics as possible, so here is a checklist of how to prepare for your appointment with your doctor!
What do I need to do before an orthopedic appointment?
- Determine the location of your clinic and where you should park (feel free to call if you have questions!)
- Plan out what time to leave so you can arrive 15–30 minutes early to fill out any paperwork that could not be completed online
- Fill out as much paperwork as you can online so you are as prepared as possible
- Dress so that your injured area can be easily accessed for examination, X-rays, or scans
- Write down (or make a note on your phone!) a list of questions you may have for your surgeon. It’s easy to forget in the moment, so having a list will ensure you make the most of your time with your doctor.
- Analyze and record as much as possible about your injury. When do you feel the most pain? Is it worse at night or when reaching up? When did you notice you were injured? How painful is it? Answers to questions like these can help your doctor diagnose and treat your injury.
What do I need to take to an orthopedic appointment?
Like any medical appointment, you should bring the following items with you to your orthopedic clinic:
- Government-issued photo ID
- Insurance card and information
- A list of your medications and/or allergies
- Copies of medical tests and records, disc of MRI or other imaging (if available),
- Information of past surgeries (operation report) and/or physical therapy (progress note). Your doctors will likely transfer this information for you, but make sure they are communicating before you go to your appointment.
- Claim number (if workers’ compensation injury)
- List of questions for your doctor
- Personal record of your injury and pain levels
Wait! I haven’t scheduled an orthopedic appointment yet! Where can I find an orthopedic doctor in Knoxville?
ORTHOKnox has got you covered when it comes to choosing a qualified and personable orthopedic surgeon. Dr. Hovis is a board-certified surgeon, has practiced for over 20 years, and performs orthopedic surgeries at the ORTHOKnox orthopedic clinics in Knoxville and Athens, Tennessee. More details and links about Dr. Hovis and his team can be found here. And see verified patient reviews of Dr. Hovis here!
Schedule an Appointment with an Orthopedic Surgeon in Knoxville and Athens, TN
To schedule your consultation or orthopedic surgery, call (865) 251-3030, or fill out our easy-to-use online appointment request form. ORTHOKnox also offers Urgent Orthopedic Care, so you can visit the office without an appointment if needed. We look forward to hearing from you!