Dr. David Hovis
Board-Certified Orthopedic Surgeon at OrthoKnox in Knoxville, TN
Dr. David Hovis is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon with a sub-specialty certification in sports medicine. He is one of the few fellowship-trained sports medicine specialists in east Tennessee.
Dr. Hovis specializes in arthroscopic and reconstructive surgery of the knee and shoulder, sports medicine, and athletic injuries. His clinical focus is on rotator cuff repairs, shoulder instability procedures, ACL reconstruction, Cartilage restoration, and total joint replacement of the knee and shoulder including reverse total shoulder. He has preformed the highest volume of MAKOplasty® robotic partial knee replacements in the region.
Dr. Hovis graduated with honors from Duke University with a bachelor of science degree and earned his medical degree with honors from Vanderbilt University in Nashville, TN. He completed a general surgery internship at Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas, TX and an orthopedic residency with honors at the University of Texas-Southwestern, also in Dallas.
In addition, Dr. Hovis completed a sports medicine fellowship at the prestigious Steadman-Hawkins Clinic in Vail, CO, where he served as an assistant team physician for the Denver Broncos football team. He also completed a traveling fellowship in shoulder surgery at the University of Zurich in Switzerland, where he performed reverse total shoulder replacements years before they were available in the US.
Dr. Hovis served as a team physician for the United States Alpine Ski Team and worked with the Olympic Committee. Dr. Hovis’ research is published in numerous peer-reviewed journals. Topics include research on sports medicine and treatments for knee and shoulder injuries.
Dr. Hovis is a member of the following organizations:
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Orthopaedic Society of Sports Medicine
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery, and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine
- Hawkins Shoulder Society
- Tennessee Orthopaedic Association
- Tennessee Medical Association
- Knoxville Academy of Medicine
White Papers by Dr. Hovis:
- Biceps Tendon Disorders in Athletes
- In Vivo Determination of the Dynamics of Normal Rotator Cuff-Deficient, Total and Reverse Replacement Shoulders
- Isolated Posterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction
- Polyglycolide Bioabsorgable Screws in the Treatment of Ankle Fractures
- Posterior Instability of the Shoulder with Secondary Impingement in Elite Golfers
- Treatment of Syndesmotic Disruptions of the Ankle with Bioabsorbable Screw Fixation
Visit our Google Plus listing to leave a review for Dr. Hovis!